Tuesday 2 July 2019

Working longer hours leads to extra Stroke risk

Image result for longer hours can cause stroke


I have done it myself. I have had some challenging jobs in my lifetime - which I really enjoyed - but it meant spending hours at work. I would often be seen in the office at 7:30am and not leave till gone 6pm. Normally with little break at lunchtime too. But these were jobs I loved and it did not feel like a bind. But was I risking my life? Could longer hours be detrimental to my health??

A new study has found that people who work long hours are nearly a third more likely to suffer a Stroke!!!!  People who grafted for more than ten hours a day for at least  days a year (I was easily doing that) had a 29 per cent higher risk!!  And if they worked long hours for ten years the risk was an astonishing 45 per cent. Therefore we need to think about cutting back.

The Paris Hospital research, led by Doctor Alexis Descaths, analysed health and work data on 143,592 people aged 18 to 69. Some 29.6 per cent worked long hours, and 10.1 per cent had done so for more than a decade. Records revealed 1,224 suffered a Stroke, with longer hours linked to a higher risk. Women, under 50, and those in professional, managerial or administration jobs were affected most.

Of course it is probably linked to the fact that if your are working longer hours, the odds are you are exercising less and maybe not cooking healthy meals - due to time.

HMHB says:
we all love to work - earning money to spend, in a job you enjoy, is great. But we all need to find time to relax, have fun and be healthy. Why work so hard you end up causing serious health conditions? That is not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment