Wednesday 3 July 2019

Can coffee help with weight loss? Let's look at the research

Image result for can coffee make you lose weight

I do like a cup of coffee. In fact, where i am typing this (the White Swan at Highbury and Islington - which I call my "office"), there are free refills - so I do get through three-five a day.

I also am in need of losing weight - yes, I know I seem to be always doing that. And I am doing well, yet again (I must finally maintain).

But a new study has scientists claiming that drinking coffee could actually help with weight loss. I am now excited!!!!  They say a cup of coffee stimulates "brown fat", which usually burns off calories to generate body heat when cold. They are hoping this breakthrough could help tackle the obesity crisis.

Professor Michael Symonds, from Nottingham University, said: "brown fat works in a different way to other fat in your body, and produces heat by burning sugar and fat. Increasing its activity improves blood sugar control, as well as improving lipid (fat) levels, and the extra calories burnt help towards weight loss."

His team used stem cells to test the theory that caffeine would stimulate brown fat, and monitored it using thermal imaging technology. (it is amazing what they can do these days)

The findings, which were published in "Scientific Reports", showed coffee does make brown fat hotter - indicating it is being worked off. The Professor said he and his team now need to identify the compound responsible for triggering the brown fat.

"The potential implications of our results are pretty big as obesity is a major health concern. We also have a growing diabetes epidemic and brown fat can be part of the solution".

HMHB says:
I admit I had never heard of "brown fat" until I read about it online. However, anything that can help people manage their weight in a healthy manner has to be researched and applauded. But it is important to recognise that both diet and exercise are crucial to a healthy lifestyle. Look at making many small changes over time - that adds up to a greater benefit. Have treats, but make sure you are always in a calories deficit (use up more calories than you take in).

No comments:

Post a Comment