Monday 22 July 2019

How often should we clean our stuff? The evidence is shocking

Image result for how often should we clean our phone


Ironically, before knowing what I was going to be entering on this blog, I cleaned my laptop before turning it on. But I must confess, this is probably the first time I have done that in many months - and I did it because it was quite dirty.

It led me to thinking - just how dirty does our stuff get? And therefore, how often should we be cleaning it. Bacteria, food, greasy fingers, liquids etc. All can be unhealthy. So I looked online at a few hygiene sites - and boy was I in for a surprise. I have not been doing well.

Pyjamas
Personally, I have not worn pjs since I was around 17. In fact, I find it very difficult sleeping in clothing now, especially socks. I do not know why. But apparently it is recommended that you should wash them twice a week - yep, you read that right. I cannot think of anyone - unless they are rich with loads of clothes, who would do that. We shed dead skin and sweat at night. In fact, the normal amount they say is between 500ml and 750ml. This naturally depends on temperature, bed clothes etc. But all that sweat and skin can lead to a breeding ground for bacteria.

Bag and Wallet
If you think about it, these are definitely items that are brimming with bacteria. Sweaty pockets, always being handled with hands covered in different foods and drinks etc. It is recommended we clean them at least once a week. In fact, I am going to stop typing and go and wipe my one down right now.

Mobile Phone
Just think about how many times you use this during the day, and where your hands have been sometimes, or even the surfaces you may put it down on. They recommend you wipe it over at least once a day. I am back on that when i finish this entry!!!

Bedsheets
If you look back at the pyjama entry, then naturally this has some of the same reasons. They are full of dead skin, sweat, and even fungi. And we then lie in that night after night. Just thinking about it is making me nauseous. This is a hot wash, once a week.

Tea Towels
This one is a shocker, but obvious when you think about it. We use them to clean up mess, normally involving some kind of food. Then we wipe plates with them, and cups and glasses. If we touch meat or fish then we can transfer some nasties. In fact you have to say there is a large food poisoning risk if they are not kept clean. Replace them daily is the recommendation. How many of us do that?? Like bedsheets, we should do a hot wash.

Bath Towels
Not as bad as Tea Towels - well I guess we are using them to dry our clean bodies, but if we don't hang them up to dry properly they can then becoming a breeding ground for bacteria. Recommended we wash once a week - again a hot wash.

HMHB says:
All interesting. Anything we handle on a day to day basis can affect out health. Think about a travel pass maybe - do we carry round the same drinks bottle?  Many objects can be covered in germs and bacteria. Just be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment