Tuesday 12 March 2019

Can porridge help to save your life?

Image result for porridge
my fave way to eat porridge - with sliced banana


Well, there is a heading from you.  A wild claim?  Not according to Dr Qi Sun or Harvard University.

They say:
"A bowl of porridge every day could slash your risk of dying from cancer.  And three daily wholegrain servings lower the risk of death by any cause by 20 per cent.

Porridge oats, brown rice and even Weetabix are said to cut the likelihood of dying from cancer by 14 per cent and heart disease by 25 per cent.  Four portions reduce premature death risk by 22 per cent."

Harvard University researchers analysed 12 studies of 800,000 people and believe grains help lower cholesterol and regulate blood pressure.

Dr Sun concluded: "Healthcare providers should unanimously recommend wholegrains to the general population and patients."

It's an interesting study.  I do like a bowl of porridge - of course we should be careful of what we have with it.  I know as a child I was taught to put sugar on all my cereals - something I did right up to the age of 16, but have stopped since (although I do occasionally add it to porridge or hot Weetabix).  I have been getting out of that habit.  Fruit on top is okay, and if you do want to sweeten it you could always add honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment