Monday 14 January 2019

Binge Eating Gene

Image result for binge eating disorder

Binge eating disorder (BED) is a serious mental illness where people experience a loss of control and eat large quantities of food on a regular basis. It can affect anyone of any age, gender, or background. ... Unlike those with bulimia, people with binge eating disorder do not regularly use purging methods after a binge

Scientists at Boston University have identified a gene linked to binge eating - and it could lead to new drugs to combat obesity and disorders, such as bulimia.

The gene, known as CYF1P2, suggests that some people really cannot help overindulging on food, drink and drugs.  They also found a network of genes associated with gorging, where a sheath is formed around a nerve fibre allowing impulses to move quickly.

I can personally vouch for food addiction and food problems, centering around mental health and confidence issues. I have fought this for a while. I am aware that if I start getting worried about an issue I tend to head to the kitchen - food gives me comfort. It is something I am battling, but am aware that I need to confront. So I find this news interesting

No comments:

Post a Comment